NON HO SONNO

The Horrornews forum has been around for years. This is where the wealth of information shared by our community over the years can be read.
Griff [Mola]

NON HO SONNO

Post by Griff [Mola] »

A-Oooh! I had the sincere pleasure of checking out the new R2 Italian DVD of this and I gotta say its definitely a step in the right direction for Argento.

I wouldn't say its quite a throwback to his smooth giallos of the early-mid Seventies but rather a simmering broth of elements from all his films and it works well. With some gliding camera work, uneven dubbing, fetish weaponry, animal imagery, supressed memories, nursery rhymes, family secrets, red herrings, black gloves, Italiano slut nudity, split personalities, Gabriele Lavia, cool Goblin tunes and Max von Sydow thrown on top, it had to be worth something. And it is, just what exactly is up to the individual.

Its too early for me to place it a position in my scale of Argento movies but its definitely a few rungs above anything he's made for the last ten or so years (my personal low point would be TRAUMA although I haven't seen his PHANTOM. DEEP RED gets top spot).

The violence is rather brutal (and beautiful), especially one scene with a English Horn that'll leave you all squirming at its graphic realism.

The DVD itself is PAL, in both English and Italian 5.1, with English subs and a fifteen minute Making of... style promo that's in Italian only without subs. Looks great, buy it if you can. Steal it if you can't.

I hope you folks like it.

P.S. Oh, and did I mention midgets? Fuck yeah!
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

Glad to hear it. It'll be at a film festival,near me in a month or two. So I'll check it out on a big screen first. Sooo fucking glad it isn't like his Phantom of The Opera film.

------------------
Wherever you go,there you are.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
shawn

Post by shawn »

I picked up the Italian DVD for this puppy a few weeks ago and I was blown away! I mean, its a real ARGENTO movie for a change! It makes Trauma, Stendhal, and Phantom look like Troma movies! Its at least as good as OPERA if not better. It has almost everything you could ask for from an Argento film: nasty violent yet beautiful murders, Goblin got back together to do the score (!), and great classic Argento camera work.
It felt like the first time I saw Tenebrea...Of course it isn't as cool as Tenebrea but it is still a huge step in the right direction. A few more of these and Argento will be ready to finish off his 3 Mothers Trilogy... Search this one out and pick it up, its a must. I ordered it from this place in Italy: http://www.dvd.it and I got it in about 5 working days. I'm sure you can probably find a company in the US now that is selling it but at the time this was the only place that had it. -shawn

------------------
"John P is a fucking idiot..." -shawn
Check out my MOVIE: Black Devi Doll

[url]http://www.blackdevildoll.com[/url]

[url]http://www.myspace.com/blackdevildolldvd[/url]
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Couldn't agree more, Shawn. I just picked up a copy of this one the other day, and I was very impressed with it.

After slogging through Trauma, Stendhal, and PotO it was nice to see Dario getting back to form. This is easily the best thing he's done since Opera and has me excited about his work again.

Part of what made it work for me was the fact that many of elements in this film seem to be reworkings of things that were in other films (I don't want to get too detailed and spoil anything, so I'll leave it at that). At any rate, there were things in the film that reminded me of Deep Red, Tenebrae, and several other classic Argento films.

At any rate, Nonhosonno is definitely a step in the right direction for Argento--it certainly impressed me.

Mike B.

[This message has been edited by Mike B (edited 08-07-2001).]