Halloween message to all... 2008!

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Halloween message to all... 2008!

Post by Remo D »

Greetings, friends--

How many does this make? I've officially lost count, but rest assured that you remain my original and longest-lasting on-line family and I'm always grateful to have you around... even when I "retire."

As I did this year. As a full-on genre completist, anyway. There was simply no justification for my continued support of each and every horror-themed theatrical release in 2008--not when virtually everything was a remake and when the few originals that got through were either damned to "limited release" hell or died on the vine (yes, that's a RUINS pun) at the multiplex.

The professional year has had its share of ups and downs for me... on the one hand, I was paid to create a series of introductions for a line of horror/exploitation double bill DVDs--on the other hand, they scrapped their plans to actually shoot the host footage (it wouldn't have been yours truly on screen--just me doing the writing). On the one hand, a book I contributed to got published--on the other hand, nobody's buying it and not even my local bookstore was willing to order enough copies to justify a book signing. On the one hand, we survived an eleventh season of MANOR and hit 150 episodes... on the other hand, the loss of our set was subsequently met by the abrupt retirement of a stalwart cast/crew member. And on the flip side? On the one hand, trying to release a movie on an actual label remains a severe thorn in my side--but on the other hand, the reaction to our work and our efforts in the name of charity brought a renewed feeling of goodwill and respect and convinced me that I was on the right track. On the one hand, we've got jobs, cars, illnesses and everything that makes up "life" to stress us out... but on the other hand, we have family and friends.

I wasted time and energy blathering on about an award that I didn't even want in the first place--but I will continue to promote the art of horror-hosting and highlight everyone who participates with no thought of professional rivalry whatsoever, and that's what counts. I greatly appreciate the fact that my writing is still in demand for respected print magazines and excellent on-line outlets alike.

And I've got Mortado's. I can talk to this crew about anything--we can agree, we can disagree, we can debate, and we can turn each other on to everything that's great and everything that's... well, you know.

We've made it to another one--it is once again OUR TIME, and we're going to celebrate it like it's the very last one--even though we know it ISN'T. Not by a LONG shot.

My steadfast gratitude to this community for the good will and the great times. And as always?

May your projects pan out.

May your movies be great.

May you enjoy good health.

May you always appreciate the company you keep.

And may you never lose sight of the fun of it all.

The greatest of Halloweens and beyond,
Remo D.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Evil Red

Post by Evil Red »

Happy Halloween :devil:
I made the Devil do it.
gothbat

Post by gothbat »

Happy Halloween!
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

Happy Halloween!
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Well said Remo. I have to agree that I've been burned out by the genre offerings this year and have not seen a single horror film in the theater. The only new horror release I saw this year was the direct-to-dvd remake of DAY OF THE DEAD, which made me wish I hadn't even bothered. Sad to say I've only been to see four movies so far this year: RAMBO, IRON MAN, INDY 4 and DARK KNIGHT. But I saw the last two twice (with the second viewing of DK being at a drive-in), so that should count for something. But this month is QUANTUM OF SOLACE and I'm all over that one.

Hopefully next year will be better horror-wise. For starters, there are remakes of FRIDAY THE 13TH and MY BLOODY VALENTINE (in 3-D no less). I hope there will be more (and better) offerings down the road, but only time will tell.

Hope everyone had a good one.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]