Paranormal Activity

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

Paranormal Activity

Post by Remo D »

I doubt it's possible to not have heard of PARANORMAL ACTIVITY by now... yes, it's the latest BLAIR WITCH PROJECT variant, sneaking into theatres sans credits of any kind, posing as 'found footage' and using saturation ads and word-of-mouth to build itself up into a legitimate box office hit.

And by and large, short and sweet? It deserves it.

As I said, it's essentially BLAIR WITCH with (excellent) special effects. Protagonist Katie allows that she's been haunted by some form of spectral force for quite a while--and now it's followed her into the luxurious San Diego digs of her wealthy day trader boyfriend Micah (it's an important and relieving detail that he can afford state of the art camera/computer equipment and that we don't have to endure the 'shaky' stylistics of BWP yet again).

Creepy things happen, and they get worse every time Micah leaves the camera on overnight in the bedroom. Details unnecessary and spoilsome.

Being long-experienced in this style of filmmaking, I never completely fell for the "it's all real" business, but it's certainly realistic enough, and it certainly scared the people in the theatre with me (even though we had some yappity yahoos to deal with, I could tell that it was even getting to them and forcing them to exhibit some sort of macho bravado). All I wanted was for the film to end with a knockout punch.

It does.

Here's a fine, simple, effective and believable shocker--and that's all you need to know.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

I thought it was pretty good but it didn't deliver for me the way "The Blair Witch Project" did. Apart from a couple of jumpy startles I just didn't find it scary. The feeling of dread was never there for me and there just wasn't any real tension. I do have to say that it was very well made and the acting/FX were very convincing.

With that in mind it scared the hell out of my wife and a good number of my friends. Perhaps I just went into it with too high of expectations. I honestly think this would have been more effective on video at home rather than on the giant theater screen.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

This is leaked all over the internet now. Note to anyone who hasn't seen this yet. Watch the theater version first, it's a much better film overall. The added scene detracts from the whole story and the ending isn't as good. I *think* the version that's on the web now is the version that played at the Slamdance festival a couple years back.
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
ROBERT

Post by ROBERT »

I've seen "both" versions and which one would be the best is entirely subjective and that tends to be evenly divided. I preferred the original unaltered version but would have liked it with the sound mix that the theatrical version had. Both versions take goddamn forever to set up the meagre premise. Kate has been haunted by an unseen force seemingly since she was a child and that force has now taken up digs in her new residence along with her annoying boyfriend Micah.(an annoying douche name if there ever was one)When Micah sets up security cams, a plot device taken from any number of other films we get a steady escalation of creepy events. Much of what Paranormal Activity is about is based on a predisposed acceptance of events. Meaning if you generally accept that this woman is being haunted by a malevolent spirit you'll be afraid for her and react accordingly. Suspension of disbelief is necessary right off the bat and that's my bone of contention. A filmmaker should pull in an audience in and convince them that what their watching is really transpiring for the characters onscreen. Here I just got a feeling of curious detachment. From all the screaming in the theatre and all the moron comments during the screening I was probably in the minority but I just didn't buy the proceedings or care for the characters.
"I don't want to be called an "artist." "Acting like an "artist" is synonymous to acting like an asshole."

Asia Argento
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

blair witch > paranormal activity

i think i would of enjoyed it more if i had stayed away from all the hype.
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/juz953.jpeg[/img]