The Amazing Spider-Man

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

The Amazing Spider-Man

Post by Remo D »

Okay, we all said the same thing at first. Why do we need a SPIDER-MAN reboot so SOON after the Raimi series? Answer: Of course we don't really need it. But it just so happens that this reboot is significantly superior to the first film in the Raimi line-up and tells its own origin story much more entertainingly and compellingly. And while this new film (directed by Mark Webb--insert your own joke here) may not quite scale the heights of SPIDER-MAN 2 itself, it avails itself of exactly what made that film work as well as it did--specifically, by building up a relationship of mutual respect between Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and Lizard-to-be Curtis Connors (Rhys Ifans) well before the transformations which will inevitably set them at odds.

You certainly don't need me to rehash the basic story or characters here, but Webb's film particularly excels in its casting--in addition to the aforementioned, Emma Stone is completely likable (and not simply vulnerable) as Gwen Stacy, offering us a change of pace from another introduction to Mary Jane as well as opening the door for Dennis Leary to step in as Captain Stacy, an extremely well-played and intimidating antagonist who by no means can be considered a villain. Aunt May? Well, she's sweetness, she's sympathy, she's Sally Field, but it's Martin Sheen who truly crackles as Uncle Ben, far less reluctant to give young Peter a piece of his mind when the situation calls for it than was Cliff Robertson.

Special effects have also improved mightily since the turn of the century, and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN takes full advantage of the latest technology... and on that note, I'm obliged to point out that the 3-D (real, not converted) is among the very best I've ever seen (and that's saying a lot)--look no further than the highpoint in which Spider-Man sets up a Lizard-trap in the sewer.

There's no need for further breakdown or spoilers--you've either seen this already or have made up your mind whether or not you will. Perhaps the timing was awkward, but I was treated to a perfect presentation of an outstanding superhero adventure and left the theatre completely satisfied--and looking forward to more.