Life is Hot in Cracktown - New Buddy Giovinazzo film

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Chris Slack

Life is Hot in Cracktown - New Buddy Giovinazzo film

Post by Chris Slack »

This came out on video last week so I got it off Netflix. Here's their synopsis: "Director Buddy Giovinazzo's provocative drama follows the intertwining lives of crack cocaine addicts and other residents of a violent inner-city neighborhood as they desperately try to survive while clinging to fading dreams of a better life. Among the urbanites about to collide are a transsexual streetwalker (Kerry Washington) and a family man (Victor Rasuk) who works at a flophouse where a 10-year-old boy (Ridge Canipe) begs for food money."

While it was quite a bit more polished than Combat Shock/American Nightmare it was still a gritty and (in my opinion) realistic portrayal of people living in a fucked up world and pretty damned good. This is what I like to call a feel good film as no matter how fucked up things may seem to be it reminds you that your life is a lot better than a lot of other peoples!

Good shit!
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women
steven_millan

Post by steven_millan »

It's a film so unsettling and grimy that you can smell the urban downtown setting that it takes place in,which is one of the many good things about this riveting film experience.

BTW:Buddy Giovanazzo discussed on the AVManiacs forum about how he had a hard time getting this film to play at any film festivals(due to the rough but truthful handling of its subject matter)and that many of the major film critics didn't like this film,for what's their loss is our gain since Giovanazzo has made a wonderful comeback with this film and the very long wait was well worth it,since he pulls out great performances from(the usually terrible duo of)Brandon Routh and Desmond Harrington and a star making performance out of Evan Ross as the brutal gang leader,for it's defintiely one of the Three Best Films of 2009. :devildoll :devildoll :cheers: :cheers:
Chris Slack

Post by Chris Slack »

After watching this I ordered Buddy G's novel that he based this film on and the new "Combat Shock" DVD :)
"Regrettable... I was hoping for a colleague, but at least we have
another experimental subject..." -Mesa of Lost Women