The Aristocrats

As in not off. If you want to post about mainstream flicks, this is the forum.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

The Aristocrats

Post by Remo D »

Okay, a guy walks into a talent agent's office and says "Have I got an act for you!"

OH.

MY.

GAWWWDDDDD......

I'm sure you've already heard the hype and the controversy (not to mention the joke). And perhaps you're still wondering how nearly ninety minutes devoted to the same joke could possibly entertain you?

Just go.

Did I mention the card trick version? The mime version?

No, I guess I didn't. And what would the point be? You're just going to have to take this one in--there's no possible way I can describe the film and make it funny--and if George Carlin doesn't make you choke in the first ten minutes, then it's a safe bet that the rest of it ain't gonna do the trick, either. But somehow, I doubt that's going to happen.

"So what do you call yourselves?"

"The Aristocrats!"
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I've been dying to see this since the first time I heard about it. Sounds like a completely fucking bizarre concept for a documentary, if it indeed fits into that category.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Lou

Post by Lou »

Saw it yesterday. Loved it. I would have loved to have seen the late Buddy Hackett's version of the joke.
May 10, 2005. It was the day the music died. David Wayne Rest in Peace.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Lou wrote:Saw it yesterday. Loved it. I would have loved to have seen the late Buddy Hackett's version of the joke.
The LATE Buddy Hackett? He declined to appear in the film due to age and health, but I believe he's still with us...

kolchak72
Forum Newbie

The Aristocrats

Post by kolchak72 »

Actually,Buddy Hackett died on June 30,2003,of complications from diabetes.
Remo D

Post by Remo D »

Well, you're right, of course.

But seeing as how this piece just ran in Roger Ebert's column? They MIGHT have mentioned it there! (And yes, I know about Dangerfield...)

A. Case closed. In my review of the film, I said Buddy Hackett could have told the joke better than anyone else, and wondered why he wasn't used. I received this reply from Penn Jillette, who made the film with Paul Provenza:

"I called Buddy and explained the project to him. He loved the idea and he got it. He told me a few versions of the joke and talked about how much it meant to him. Man, Buddy was perfect for our movie. I asked him and he said he'd love to but 'I'm old and sick.' It was as simple as that. He cheered us on, but he just wasn't up for being on camera. The 'old and sick' might have been a lie, but man, if you're willing to back up your lie by dying, well, I'm going to believe you. I called Rodney [Dangerfield] right after that and had just about the same phone call. They both should have been in the movie.

Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

I'm thrilled. The old timey theater downtown has this booked for tomorrow night through thursday in their bar. I'm very much looking forward to seeing this while consuming many beers.

edit: My wife and I went to this on sunday and laughed our asses off. While it was not at all what I was expecting, and it's really not a shitload of comedians telling the joke, it was extremely entertaining. Highlights were definitely the card trick version, Sarah Silverman, Carlin, Doug Stanhope telling the joke to his infant son, but the grand prize goes to Bob Saget. No doubt about it, that man is definitely doing his best to live down every season of Full House.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]