Original MY BLOODY VALENTINE now on DVD.....UNCUT!!!

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Darth Tanner

Original MY BLOODY VALENTINE now on DVD.....UNCUT!!!

Post by Darth Tanner »

Finally got the DVD for the original version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE today and actually saw it for the first time ever! Lionsgate gave this film a nice anamorphic transfer and the picture quality is very impressive given the age and low-budget nature of the movie. But the big news is that they have also included all of the gore that was cut prior to the initial release. Best part is that you can watch the scenes separately or in the movie itself as an "extended version" via seamless branching. The quality of the cut footage is not as sharp as the rest of the film, but it is still in fairly good quality. Fans of the film should be very pleased to see this as the FX are awesome. Just don't expect the cut footage to have the same quality as MGM's recent DVD of THE BURNING (which was terrific) and you won't be disappointed. The other extras are very slim: a very short featurette, an interactive timeline on the history of slasher films, and previews of other Lionsgate films. That's it! But for the price you can't really complain. I actually found this at Wal-Mart (of all places!) for $13, so it should be easy to find at a cheap price.

Now that I've seen the original, I'm even more fired up about seeing that remake this weekend to see how it compares.

One more final thought.....if Paramount actually had this cut footage, who is to say they don't have other lost treasures in their vaults? Is it possible we may in the near future see "uncut" versions of all the FRIDAY THE 13TH films:) An uncut DVD and Blu-Ray of Part 1 is coming out next month, but what about the other films in the series?
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I think the director or producer had stored the cut elements for all this time hoping to get them reinstated in the film.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

I am 138 wrote:I think the director or producer had stored the cut elements for all this time hoping to get them reinstated in the film.
Hmmm....I was under the impression that Paramount had this footage sitting in their vault all these years. But since it was an independent film, I guess it would make sense for the filmmakers to have it in their possession. But it still makes me ask the question....what other "lost" footage could studios still have laying around? There is a chance that stuff like that could be lost forever but you never know. I think John Carl Buechler stated someplace awhile back that the only cut footage he had from FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 7 was on his own VHS workprint (which was most likely used for Paramount's box set a few years back) and that was the only copy of the footage that still existed. But I'd like to hear otherwise and learn that Paramount still has other "deleted" footage that they are just too lazy to search for.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

I guess there are a couple of scenes that have been lost to the ravages of time, including a drilling of a couple that sounds pretty cool.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

A while back, when I was trying to book some movies around here, I had to deal with the Paramount Archives when inquiring about the Friday the 13th movies. Trust me. If they have any lost footage socked away in their vaults, they don't know it's there. The archives are managed by one woman and only about 30% of the actual vault is cataloged. It's crazy!
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Latte Thunder wrote:The archives are managed by one woman and only about 30% of the actual vault is cataloged. It's crazy!
If that's true then they're sitting on a double, triple, quadraple DVD dip goldmine...

Its unfathomable that they wouldn't see the benefit of getting in there and cataloging the stuff.