My (hopefully temporary) retirement

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Remo D

My (hopefully temporary) retirement

Post by Remo D »

Greetings, friends--

Had to wait until significantly past April Fool's Day to post this (for obvious reasons).

Okay, here it is, straight up.

I am hopelessly behind on my movie-viewing log (long and short, if it opens with the Crown International logo I probably watched it and wrote a video introduction for it). I have more writing assignments than ever before. I've been to the doctor's office twice thanks to a painful bump on my right wrist (not so much the keyboard as the mouse-clicking at home and especially at work). I haven't found the time to even post on the paltry theatrical movies I've caught... yes, THE BANK JOB is every bit as good as you've heard, and you don't need me to tell you that SUPERHERO MOVIE is a flush. (Okay, the casting is fine, Chris McDonald is a good enough villain--the Hourglass--for a REAL movie, and the first fifteen minutes are funny enough to convince you that it's going to work. Then it's all concentrated on incinerations, use of the word "shit" and yet another flatulence gag that rolls on for five minutes or so in a desperate attempt to make you cave in and scream "okay, it's FUNNY! IT'S FUNNY!")

And on top of everything else, the genre year that is 2008 to date seems completely unworthy of serious attention. I've seen THREE genre films so far. THE ORPHANAGE was a holdover from last year. CLOVERFIELD I liked, but the audience deserted it in droves once they realized that it WASN'T about paying off the (obnoxious) hype and "showing the monster." And DOOMSDAY. I've skipped far more than I've caught, because I have zero interest in the bumper crop of remakes. ONE MISSED CALL. THE EYE. SHUTTER. FUNNY GAMES. And a PG-13 PROM NIGHT isn't exactly stoking the coals for me, either.

I'll see THE RUINS and I promise to tell you about it. But with one-fourth of the year already gone, I'm not sure I'll even qualify to bring you "2008 in Review," unless I just want to post a thread that reads "I skipped it." But by and large, it's time for me to bow out until I get things caught up and until things get measurably better. And this is NO disrespect to YOU--the original and best forum-family I've ever known.

I'll be back when it's appropriate. Viva Mortado's!

Remo D.
My dog's breath smells like peanut butter...

...and I don't even have a dog!
AchimbaProphet

Post by AchimbaProphet »

It is a pleasure to read your reviews. Take care.
"These gangs of bandits have sought to darken the light of the world" - Winston Churchill
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

.... :(
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/juz953.jpeg[/img]
Darth Tanner

Post by Darth Tanner »

Damn Remo,
Sorry to hear about all of that as I really look forward to reading your reviews. But I hope everything works out ok for you and we see you on here again in no time. I do have to agree with you though about 2008 starting out as a shitty year. The only movie I made it out to so far this year was RAMBO (which fortunately delivered as promised). Aside from that nothing else really interested me enough to go to the multiplex, so I've mainly just watched stuff at home. But next month is IRON MAN and INDIANA JONES 4, so I'll probably hold out for those. IRON MAN seems a bit iffy, but I do want to check it out anyway. And there is no way in hell that I am going to miss INDY:metal:
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the heavens. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and so... I am a God." - Malcolm McDowell, CALIGULA
------------------

[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=ctanner5]My DVD collection[/url]
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

Remo, those wrist bumps are nasty and if you don't give 'em time to heal can just get worse. Rest up!!
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Fair enough. Tis better to use your precious words to celebrate the films you enjoy than to bemoan the ones you did not.
DylanDog

Post by DylanDog »

I love how in your post to tell us you won't be doing more reviews, you post two mini reviews! lol.

Seriously, I wouldn't feel obligated to go see anything you don't want to see just for our sakes. Especially those remakes...(Ugh....It seems every time I go to the imdb to find a listing for a movie I just watched, there's a remake in the works... Bunny Lake Is Missing and Logan's Run being the two most recent examples...).

It does seem many of us has drifted away to do our own things, but that's cool. So long as it's not permanent... :)
"This must be settled the way nature intended...with a vicious, bloody fight!!"
Onyx Blackman
Principal
Flatpoint High
[url=http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Nekrodave&type=A]DVDS[/url]
[url=http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Collections/Nekrodave/]TOYS[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/nekrodave]MySpace[/url]