Dario Argento to finish Three Mothers trilogy

Horrornews is a discussion forum for true horror fans to discuss the more obscure areas of the horror/cult/exploitation film genre as well as current theatrical horror.

Moderator: Chris Slack

Scott

Dario Argento to finish Three Mothers trilogy

Post by Scott »

This past summer, a long wait came to an end when George Romero released his fourth dead movie. Now another film that I've awaited and I'm sure many others have too is coming. Fangoria and Bloody Disgusting are both reporting that Dario Argento's next project will be the third film in the Three Mothers trilogy tentatively titled Mother of Tears. No details of the plot have been released yet.

What's interesting though is Argento has brought in two outside writers to do the screenplay in Adam Gierasch and Jace Anderson. Both worked on Tobe Hooper's Toolbox Murders and Crocodile. So what does this all mean? Some may cry foul, but I think Dario is making a good move here. I don't think having outside writers will deter from what Argento wants to do. He's still the director and will have final say I'm sure over the script. Rather, I think this will allow Argento to focus more on directing. I believe that one of the reasons some of his latest films have not been up to par is that he's stretching himself too thin as he did on The Card Player and Phantom of the Opera for example. Also, Bloody Disgusting reports that Argento is using U.S. writers for a better chance at reaching a stateside market. Let's face it. What was the last Argento film that received a wide release in the U.S. Can someone fill me in on that one?

This could be huge. An Argento film in wide release. I could see it working. This might be wishful thinking but if Argento can somehow get this film into wide release, it would be great to see Suspiria and Inferno get digitally remastered and re-released theatrically, even if only for a short time. I think it would help get viewers unfamiliar with Argento caught up with the Three Mothers trilogy.

Let the countdown begin. :cheers:
Latte Thunder

Post by Latte Thunder »

It's been a long time since I've seen anything by Argento that I've liiked, but I do have to admit, with the right amount of hype, this could be big in the American market. The present wave of horror is all about tipping our hats to the masters of the genre so it's not out of the question that a new Mothers movie could give Argento some love in the wider market... which is something I'd love to see.

Ask the average horror fan these days about Argento and they won't know who you're talking about.
[url=http://www.cinema-suicide.com]Cinema Suicide[/url]
[url=http://soundtracks.cinema-suicide.com]Soundtrack Apocalisse[/url]
Kimberly

Post by Kimberly »

Arwho?

I never cared much for Inferno... Suspira is amazing. Of the latest Argento films The Card Player was terrible, Sleepless was decent and Phantom was the pits...

I'd be interested to see how this one turns out... if it's even true that the third installment of the Three Mothers films is going to be made. In short, I'm not holding my breath...
[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/juz953.jpeg[/img]
dr coathanger

Post by dr coathanger »

[quote="Kimberly"]Arwho?

Of the latest Argento films The Card Player was terrible, Sleepless was decent and Phantom was the pits...
QUOTE]

I got the chance to see the Card Player (or was it the Card Master?) on the big screen a little while ago. Really fucking bad, I wished I hadn't seen it. It was the first Argento movie I've seen that I didn't like, and I've seen almost all of them. Here's hoping he gets back on the horse with this one.
Scott

Post by Scott »

The movie is the Card Player. I thought it was better than Phantom of the Opera but that's not saying much.
I am 138

Post by I am 138 »

It'll suck.
[color=Yellow]11/26/65 - 3/9/05[/color]

[b]i miss nme666 and i approve this message.[/b]
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'd dig a third installment in the Three Mothers movies. Suspiria is obviously the fucking balls and even Inferno had its moments (well, except for the stupid skeleton behind the mirror, man what a stupid fucking costume, looks like a dumb halloween get up bought at the local bargin bin). Sleepless was a decent comeback, some good gore and suspense but The Card Player was bad. I've never had the pleasure to catch Phantom Of The Opera but I'd love to see an uncut print of Trauma because the version I watched was terrible. I sorta dug Stendahl as well but I haven't re-visited it in awhile and can't remember much about it.
llapman

Post by llapman »

I have been a huge Argento fan, since I was a lad of 7 or 8, when I saw Susperia at the drive in (and got to meet him once, and he was a very kind and gracious man). His output has been very shoddy over the last 10 + years, with Opera being his last true classic. It's almost as if he was phoning it in for awhile, not really caring so much about the quality of his work (I do like Sleepless though). With this, i'm hoping he has something to work with that he is excited about, so he can really dig in and go out on a high note. The screenwriters are the ones who wrote The Toolbox Murders remake (which I haven't see), and i'm hoping they don't want to be the ones to turn in a crap script, since they'd never live it down. Can't wait to see his episode of Masters Of Horror, since I have heard it pushes the boundaries of good taste. Keep your fingers crossed!

Later
[font=Century Gothic]Brian Llapitan[/font] :dsmoke:
Griff [Mola]

Post by Griff [Mola] »

Hey, I saw this at the TIFF world premiere last night and banged out the following thoughts for the benefit of my fellow Aussie genre fans back home. I thought I'd reproduce it here in honour of my longtime association with the Forums of Filth (10 years! Hip hip hooray!) so enjoy...

Okay, as promised:

So the onscreen title is MOTHER OF TEARS: THE THIRD MOTHER and its a pretty crazy fucking movie. It is not, however, a true sibling to SUSPIRIA and INFERNO. It is not set in that dream-like universe with exploding colours and pounding music and nonsensical plotting that kinda starts off as giallo and leads into something else later revealed to be supernatural...

We are in a much more familiar reality and from the beginning we are made aware that there are dark forces at work and alot of the plotting explains to us, gradually, where they're coming from and what they want. Essentially, Mater Lachrymarum is back in town, the well-being of Rome is becoming increasingly corrupted by her influence and the end of the world is nigh. Hey, that sounds kinda like GHOSTBUSTERS. Except everyday citizens going about their business weren't suddenly and inexplicably compelled to perform acts of murder (including infanticide!) in that one.

But anyway, Asia plays a budding archeologist who inadvertantly helps cause all this trouble and must find a way to stop it, discovering she has familial links to those who have stood against the three mothers in the past (but not Jessica Harper or the guy from FRATERNITY VACATION, in case that's what you were thinking). Can she get to the bottom of this whole apocalyptic caper and awaken the latent powers within herself (don't ask, its a subplot I could've done without - just think 'good witch') in time to stop it? Scratch that, will people die in spectacular and brutal ways?

Most certainly. Some of the violence is stunning in its ferocity ...and length. There's a delightful protraction to the deaths, a prolonging of pain, that we haven't seen from Argento since, maybe, OPERA. Those poor fuckers get it and they get it good - though I'd never dream of telling you how. In a wonderful touch, there's this dastardly monkey running around, seemingly dooming these people to a horrible death by screeching at them until his human minions show up and attack.

He truly steals the show and, in another nice touch, his reason for being is never explained. Unfortunately, just about everything else is, thanks to a rich assortment of expositional characters that seemingly exist solely to bring Asia's character up to speed and send on her way to where she needs to go next. Hmmph. I suspect this is mainly the contribution of the two American writers brought in to cowrite the script, no doubt in order to tailor it closer towards Western sensibilites. Not that everything is nicely tied up with string (indeed, you're still left scratching your head occassionally) but I would've perferred the broader ambiguity of the other two flicks where, after a while, your brain is content to not ask questions at all and just absorb.

At only 98 minutes, time runs out fast, plot resolutions come at the expense of character resolutions and you'd be left wondering what was the point of all that extraneous character stuff if it wasn't for the cool continuous tracking shot around an abandoned building at night (that really needed the Goblin track from DEEP RED that plays while Hemmings is tip toeing around in the dark), the presence of Daria Nicolodi, Udo Kier and Coralina Cataldi-Tassoni or the immensley pleasing gore in the swiftly executed finale to keep you distracted.

Ultimately? I dunno, I think alot of people are gonna be disappointed due to the unreasonably high expectations they have for this film thanks to the lofty standards set by its brethren (yes, some of us do indeed dig on INFERNO). On the other hand, this is quite possibly Dario's greatest film in 20 years so whattaya gonna do? Jerk off and cry? Check it out when you get the chance and see if you can't love it despite its faults because, in the end, there's a hell of a lot of loopy fun to be had with MOTHER OF TEARS and you'd only be doing yourself a disservice should you stubbornly resist.

The Griff.

P.S. Happy Birthday for today, DARIO!